[tex-live] Re: [tug-support] graphicx error / xdvi error

Petr Sojka sojka@informatics.muni.cz
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 13:44:28 +0200

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 12:52:25AM -0500, cm van schalkwyk wrote:
hi

> I've just installed TeX Live 7 and am getting the following error when I
> run pdflatex on a document that used to work fine with earlier versions
> of pdflatex:
>
>    ! LaTeX Error: Unknown graphics extension: .eps.
>
>    See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
>    Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>
>    l.111    \includegraphics[height=2in]{fig1.eps}

For pdflatex, convert your figures to .pdf using eps2pdf
script (it uses ghostscript, so you have to have it installed
and properly configured). There is a possibility to
convert (not use directly) .eps graphics on the fly, too.

> I've tried it without specifiying '.eps' extension, and then it
> complains that it cannot find 'fig1'  If I run latex on the same file,
> everything appears to be fine, except for the fact that xdvi gives the
> following error.
Do not specify extensions in the file, macros will use
appropriate version.

>    xdvi.bin: error in loading shared libraries: xdvi.bin: undefined
> symbol: _XA_UTF8_STRING
>
> I'm running a RedHat 6.0 system, and pdflatex reports:

Maybe too old RH libraries, try using ldd /path/to/xdvi.bin
I do CC: to experts on texlive list.

>    This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-1.00b-pretest-20020211 (Web2C 7.3.7x)
>
> Any idea what's wrong here?

Nothing, I suppose.

Hope helps
Petr Sojka, [CS]TUG