[tex-live] Re: TeX Live UNIX shell scripts

Vladimir Volovich vvv@vsu.ru
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:35:08 +0400

"SR" == Sebastian Rahtz writes:

 SR> the Perforce repository is now clean and consistent. the source,
 SR> source,development, and source.tar.bz2 are now all the same,

well, not in in full :-)

source contains an empty file
"source/TeX/texk/odvipsk/# DO NOT DELETE"
and a symlink
source/TeX/texk/odvipsk/depend.mak

while source.development contains
a non-empty file
source.development/TeX/texk/odvipsk/depend.mak

i suggest to delete the files
"source/TeX/texk/odvipsk/# DO NOT DELETE"
and
source/TeX/texk/odvipsk/depend.mak

and copy
source.development/TeX/texk/odvipsk/depend.mak
source/TeX/texk/odvipsk/depend.mak

also, current source.tar.bz2 is not the same already.
[but why do you update source.tar.bz2 so frequently? you can pack it
up just before burning the cd - otherwise we download that large file
without a need]

 SR> and all the binary sets have the same set of scripts.

not true again.
just cd to Master/bin/ and run diff -ru between any two unix bin
directories.

there are still a lot of differences!

 SR> This leaves the question of which way to go with all the little
 SR> scripts. Which of

 SR>  1) leave alone, it works 2) put scripts in bin/generic 3) turn
 SR> everything into symlinks

 SR> do people prefer? Unless anyone has any strong views, I propose
 SR> to do 1) and 3). ie not do anything for a week, so that we can
 SR> get a clean image for Staszek made, and then switch to symlinks.

note: the mess in unix scripts which still exists is due to the fact
that the scripts are duplicated in several directories.  if you remove
all script files (which are listed in my older email) from unix bin
directories, and move them into a separate dir, there will be no
source for this mess in the future -- all you will need to worry about
is to have up-to-date files in ONE place.

 SR> I'd like to record thanks, by the way, to Vladimir for flagging
 SR> these long-standing problems. Its very good to get them sorted
 SR> out.

you're welcome :) i'd be happy if TeX Live will be consistent and
up-to-date.

Best,
v.