[tex-live] Re: xdvi horror (on TL6)

Rainer Menzner Rainer.Menzner@web.de
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 08:45:07 +0100

Staszek Wawrykiewicz schrieb:

> I was surprised by a new concept of xdvi found on TeX Live 6.
> In fact, I had no time to test it before while working on the contents
> of the CD, and I rarely use xdvi. :-(
> It seems that now xdvi doesn't use gsftopk by default for rendering
> Type1 fonts. Instead the user has to intervene in texmf/xdvi/xdvi.cfg,
> which is *not* explained in the xdvi documentation.
> As example, for all T1 fonts used in Poland, included on the CD (they work
> perfectly with dvips, gsftopk, etc.) the user has to add to xdvi.cfg some
> entries. The worst thing -- it doesn't work, e.g. after adding to xdvi.cfg:
> dvipsmap pl.map
> dvipsmap qpl.map
> etc. etc. (somehow annoying; why not just using psfonts.map?)
> we have:
>
> $Postscript encoding: Expected '[' as next token in /usr/TeX/texmf/dvips/pl/plrm.enc
> xdvi: Unable to load encoding vector plrm.enc from /usr/TeX/texmf/dvips/pl/plrm.enc
> xdvi: No such file or directory
>
> It is somehow crazy, because plrm.enc contains *VALID* line (see PS manual),
> which is not properly parsed by xdvi
> /encplrm[
>
> The problem is that xdvi expects
> /encplrm [
> with space before `[' which is the bug (also known some years ago from
> pstopk)

Maybe, this is my mistake, but I'm pretty sure to have taken care for
the case that the mark character directly follows the encodingname
because this is valid PostScript. I'll check that, but not before this
evening.

Best regards,

-Rainer

 Dr.-Ing. Rainer Menzner       |    mailto:Rainer.Menzner@zn-ag.com
 Senior Engineer / R&D         |    Phone:   +49 234 9787-0
 ZN Vision Technologies AG     |    Fax:     +49 234 9787-77
 Universitätsstraße 160        |    http://www.zn-ag.com
 D-44801 Bochum                |    http://www.visiomed.de