[tex-live] xdvi horror (on TL6)

Staszek Wawrykiewicz StaW@gust.org.pl
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 05:51:18 +0200 (CEST)

I was surprised by a new concept of xdvi found on TeX Live 6.
In fact, I had no time to test it before while working on the contents
of the CD, and I rarely use xdvi. :-(
It seems that now xdvi doesn't use gsftopk by default for rendering
Type1 fonts. Instead the user has to intervene in texmf/xdvi/xdvi.cfg,
which is *not* explained in the xdvi documentation.
As example, for all T1 fonts used in Poland, included on the CD (they work
perfectly with dvips, gsftopk, etc.) the user has to add to xdvi.cfg some
entries. The worst thing -- it doesn't work, e.g. after adding to xdvi.cfg:
dvipsmap pl.map
dvipsmap qpl.map
etc. etc. (somehow annoying; why not just using psfonts.map?)
we have:

$Postscript encoding: Expected '[' as next token in /usr/TeX/texmf/dvips/pl/plrm.enc
xdvi: Unable to load encoding vector plrm.enc from /usr/TeX/texmf/dvips/pl/plrm.enc
xdvi: No such file or directory

It is somehow crazy, because plrm.enc contains *VALID* line (see PS manual),
which is not properly parsed by xdvi
/encplrm[

The problem is that xdvi expects
/encplrm [
with space before `[' which is the bug (also known some years ago from
pstopk)

For now we have to run `xdvi -not1lib file.dvi' which fortunately
runs gsftopk and makes proper work.
It is my fault not finding it before... The TL6 CD for Polish users
is ready and sent to the members of GUST, PLUG etc.... :-(

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
email: staw@gust.org.pl