[tex-live] new install concept for TeXLive

Peter Flynn pflynn@imbolc.ucc.ie
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 12:49:38 +0000 (GMT)

>  > I don't suppose there's ever any risk of the install interface
>  > being broadly the same for both?
>
> sure, one day, in theory. but not soon, unless Fabrice pulls off a
> major miracle and writes an install that compiles under Linux etc...

I just looked at InstallAnywhere (www.zerog.com) which LimeWire use
for their installer. Very impressive and multiplatform but $995 a
copy.

>  > This is fine, except I would think the default should include
>  > a little more than essential plus latex so that newcomers end
>  > up with a system that will at least process a significant
>  > subset of documents. Perhaps add bib, books, graphics, math,
>  > and psfonts. Difficult call. Hard to know where to stop.
>
> quite. but look at the details of them - "latex" does include basic
> psfonts, natbib etc. "math" is perhaps more controversial, maybe AMS
> should be part of "latex"

OK...not having seen the setups yet I didn't realise this. Good.
Is math == amsmath? If so it should probably be called amsmath.
Is bib == natbib? etc.  I thought graphics was core now.

> yes, but
>  a) the dependency information is so weak, its hardly worth having

Ah. OK.

> and your language.dat is rebuilt

Wunderbar / Merveilleux / etc

>  > What's the installer written in?
>
> "sh"

Good, even I can understand most of that.

> you can suggest away. since its unlikely to be me who does the work....

Right, except I ain't qualified to suggest 'cos all I've used is
RPM.

///Peter