[tex-live] texlive too full

Staszek Wawrykiewicz StaW@gust.org.pl
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 04:47:02 +0200 (MET DST)

Sebastian wrote:
> The TeX Live image now comes in at 662 mbytes.
Ooops, we've already removed systems/. It means that TeX is still growing up
and alive...

> who has suggestions?
>  - ditch some Unix binaries
no

> - ditch the support/ directory
no (or time consuming investigation)

> - throw away some packages
it is the most difficult question, which ones

> - remove all but the most basic formats from texmf/web2c
If so:
1. do anybody use mltex/mllatex ?
2. do we really need huge* versions ? Perhaps it is good time huge* versions
   should became *standard* so we will have less questions like:
   `TeX capacity exceded...  what to do?''
If we still consider TL as runnable from the CD, leaving other formats
would be wise (even context*, which take more then 10MB ;-)

> if you are interested:
> 9436    texmf/bibtex
> 10832   texmf/tpm  ???
I hope that only at this stage (experimental
> 28180   texmf/web2c
> 50600   texmf/tex
> 58524   texmf/source  !!!???
The most interesting thing that source is greater than running files.
The first candidate to zap.

> 166848  texmf/doc
> 179836  texmf/fonts
I do not want to comment all the mess with fonts ;-}
EuroTeX'2001 would be good place to discuss it.

Staszek Wawrykiewicz
email: staw@gust.org.pl