texdoctk

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 16:32:38 +0000 (GMT)

Thomas Ruedas writes:

 > Which Perl version do you have? I got this crap as well on my Linux box
 > at home (Perl v.5.004, IIRC), but didn't notice any particular problems;

yes thats what I have on my Linux box here

 > >Read on closed filehandle <UPDATES> at ./texdoctk line 56.
 > >Use of uninitialized value at ./texdoctk line 57.
 > Lines 54-56 are
 >     my $updates=join('/',($texmfmain,"updates.dat"));
 >     open(UPDATES,"$updates");
 >     $line=<UPDATES>;
 > so updates.dat is expected to be in $TEXMFMAIN. Could it really be in
 > another place or be absent at all? I don't know if you tried as root or
 > as a normal user; the file must be world-readable, I guess.

I tried on a non-teTeX trr (TeX Live) where I do not have updates.dat,
so I guess you need to allow for it not existing at all

 > but just adding a line if you install a *new* package should not be such
 > a tremendous effort.
no, if one can think of what category to use

 > I don't think there can be a trivial way, because the frontend needs a
 > kind of slogan for the user to know what a package is about, and also
 > some keywords maybe, for the search.

ideally, you would get this information from the Williams Catalogue
database, though it is not currently in there in the format you would
need.

 > Running kpsewhich when a file is selected, you mean? However, I am not
 > sure if kpsewhich would find the correct result in each case (although
 > in most cases, it would). But there are some files or at least
 > possibilities of file names such as index.html or README which are or in
 > future versions might be not unique.

true, of course

sebastian