texmf.cnf for BLU

Thomas Esser te@informatik.uni-hannover.de
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 14:00:35 +0100 (MET)

Hi Staszek et. al.,

> It is still not clear what can be changed in the local/user
> configuration. For example, teTeX 1.0.7 texconfig do not make a copy of
> texmf.cnf to the $VARTEXMF (if it was set, and as it was in previous
> versions).

This only makes sense, if you compile kpathsea with $VARTEXMF included
in the search path for texmf.cnf files (before everything else). This is
not the case in standard teTeX, so it is correct not to copy texmf.cnf
into the VARTEXMF tree.

It does not help to set TEXMFCNF inside some texmf.cnf file to something
that includes $VARTEXMF. For texmf.cnf files, the *compile time* path
is important (I think that we all agree on not to rely on environment
variables).

For TeX Live 5, it might be possible to do this change. One migth even
consider to include $HOMETEXMF.

> There are several reasons for having local|user|$VARTEXMF texmf.cnf:

Sure, you are right.

Thomas