[Fwd: Copying TeX Live 4]

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 08:43:51 +0000 (GMT)

 > I have a copy of the TeX Live 4 cd and was wondering if it would be ok
 > to give copies of it to my freshmen laboratory calculus students.  I've
 > been making them use latex to prepare their laboratory writeups and I
 > thought it might be nice for them to have their own latex distribution.
 >
 > The copy I have is a gift from Jonathan Fine a member of the UK Tug.  I
 > am not a member of TUG nor is my institution.  I am a member in
 > good standing of the AMS, a corporate member of TUG, is that good enough?
 >
 > I'd be willing to pay a small fee for each copy.

an interesting situation. technically, there would be slight problems
with what you propose, as the licensing conditions on some packages
have explicit restrictions on redistribution by CD-ROM. However, of course
everyone would like your students to be introduced to TeX, and there
really isn't any problem in your handing out 99.9% of the stuff.

I would suggest that the best way to proceed, rather than paying TUG
any fee per copy, would be

 a) for you to join TUG
 b) for you to purchase extra copies of the CD from TUG, at cost ($1
   or so, I think)

The advantage of this would be that your students would get a nicer
CD, with the proper label advertising the user groups.

Sebastian Rahtz
TeXLive editor