TL4 thoughts (fwd)

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Tue, 18 May 1999 16:44:20 +0000 (GMT)

Some ideas from Staszek Wawrykiewicz. I think we'd all agree that the
cataloguing of fonts is a major issue.

writing extra documentation is indeed essential

Sebastian

--------------------------

There are many things I found, just to mention:
..
2. On Linux/Unix: when you mount CD, set VARTEXMF and do `texconfig init'
   all config files are copied read-only, so we have to change permissions
   from another session to make subsequent texconfig.
3. We have to reconsider all fonts mess. The recommended installation
   put so many afm, tfm, vf, fd files for many commercial fonts. I think,
   most users do not have them. Also the problem with Y&Y/AMS, Bakoma
   and Hoekwater (logo) fonts should be somehow cleaned.
4. The main documentation should contain a chapter how to start programs,
   what to do after installation, etc. (web2c doc can be adapted).
   It is very important for new users. A good example is MikTeX documentation.
   Just consider a newbe...

I can put my hands to all the above.

Staszek Wawrykiewicz
email: staw@gust.org.pl