TeX Live 4 available for ordering

Karl Berry karl@cs.umb.edu
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 16:11:24 -0400 (EDT)

    Hello Sebastian and Peter and "tex-live@tug.org" ( ? ),

tex-live@tug.org is Sebastian, Kaja Christiansen, Patricia Monohon, Art
Ogawa, and myself.  We have all been involved at varying levels for
varying lengths of time with TL 4.

    The membership fee to AsTeX association is 50 FF for students and
    100 FF for others, and we do not want to increase this fee.

Certainly understandable.

    As for TeX Live, our policy is to charge 100 FF for it. Is it OK for
    you?

Unfortunately it's not strictly legal to charge anything extra at all
for TL, and charging significantly more than the actual cost of the CD
(which is a lot less than 100FF, more like 5FF if the currency
conversion I just did is accurate) is even more problematic.

We hope to change this next year, so that you will be able to charge
anything you wish, but this year, we are stuck with it.  So I'm afraid
you'll either need to make it a free benefit of membership if possible,
or charge at most your cost plus a slight overhead (say 10FF) for it.
Sorry about that, it's the software's conditions, not ours.

Let us know what you want to do.

Thanks for the reply, in any case.

Best wishes,
Karl