[tex-k] Bug in mf and tex

Wolfgang Helbig helbig at mailbox.org
Mon Oct 26 11:30:26 CET 2020

Hi,

pardon me, but I think I spotted something wrong:

TeX sometimes flushes the name of an input file, keeping only the base
name w/o directory and extension. This causes an error, if the full name
of the file needs to be passed to the
editor during error recovery as suggested by Prof. Knuth.
The same bug in mf.

Here are change blocks from my tex.ch resp. mf.ch in module 793

[793] name might be needed to be passed to vi
@x
if name=str_ptr-1 then {we can conserve string pool space now}
   begin flush_string(name); name:=cur_name;
   end;
@y
@^Editor@>
@z

[537] continued
@x
if name=str_ptr-1 then {we can conserve string pool space now}
   begin flush_string; name:=cur_name;
   end;
@y
@^Editor@>
@z

The change files for TeX-GPC and TeX-FPC already contain these fixes
since 2008.

May I ask you to forward this message to Prof. Knuth, if you think
it is worth it?

Sincerely yours,

Wolfgang Helbig, Programmierer
TeX-FPC, a Pascal only based TeX implementation

Stauferstr. 22
71334 Waiblingen
Germany