[tex-k] texk/web2c/omegafonts/yannis test failed

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Nov 21 00:15:28 CET 2020

Hi Scott,

    + ./omfonts -opl2ofm -verbose tests/xyarabic tests/xyarabic
    line 572 (lexing): COMMENT string longer than 10000 characters; truncating
    input buffer overflow, can't enlarge buffer because scanner uses REJECT

Thanks for the report. A constant needed to be increased (MAX_PTR in
Build/source/texk/web2c/omegafonts/pl-lexer.l), which I did (r56973).
The error is completely unimportant for your build, so you don't need to
worry about it. (Not that I think you were. :)

Oddly, the "input buffer overflow" message never appeared for me, or
apparently anyone else; I surmise that is why the test failure was
finally provoked.  (Neither the code nor the test has changed in many
years.) Seems surprising to me.

By the way, there is an annoying/amusing,  comment on the constant:
    /* POTENTIAL BUG: saved_text could be run over; should check */
    #define MAX_PTR 10000
Yes, Yannis and John, you should have checked :).

(However, I did no better, as I did not try to make the error fatal, on
the theory that this stuff is never going to change again.)

Thanks again,
Karl