[tex-k] cwebman bugs

Andreas Scherer andreas_tex at freenet.de
Thu Apr 30 20:02:29 CEST 2020

Dear Spencer,

(1) According to "point 9" on page 25 of 'cwebman.pdf', "Data for the
table of contents is written to a file that is read **after** the
indexes have been \TEX/ed", so this is fully intended.  You can (and
have to) put the toc-pages up front manually.

(2) ftp.cs.stanford.edu/pub/ctwill does exist:

drwxr-xr-x   2 ftp      users        2048 May 10  2000 ctwill

but there seems to be a configuration glitch on the FTP server at
Stanford that prohibits access to this subdirectory (both via your web
browser and via a simple ftp prompt).  I never bothered to contact DEK
or the LaBrea admins about this.  (A while ago, a similar problem
temporarily existed for CWEB itself, but that was fixed.)

I can only promise that https://github.com/ascherer/ctwill does in fact
hold the pristine contents of CTWILL version 3.61 of 2000.

However, I invested quite some time and effort to upgrade CTWILL to the
current CWEB 3.64b via https://github.com/ascherer/ctwill/tree/local and
more recently https://github.com/ascherer/cwebbin -- the former *.diffs
files were reprocessed into genuine change files that smoothly upgrade
CTWILL to current CWEB and integrate it into TeX Live (2019 and up).
Feel free to test this modernized CTWILL and report problems with it to
this list (or my Github project(s)).

Cheers,
Andreas