[tex-k] texmf.cnf feature request

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Dec 6 23:09:45 CET 2018

    I've edited texmf.cnf by adding a new variable DOTTEXDIR = .//
    to every variable in the place of ".".

I don't have any specific problem at hand, but I am somehow worried
about "generalizing" . to be a variable in every path. It feels like an
intrusive change even though the effect "should" be nil.

I tend to think of this as "adding another tree" (which happens to be
the current directory), instead of "replacing .". What about using one
of the other mechanisms to add .// to the $TEXMF list? For instance:
  TEXMFHOME=.//

Or the new "aux trees" variable that was introduced in 2017:
  TEXMFAUXTREES=.//,
The trailing comma is necessary to make it work with the default
texmf.cnf.

For the record, it can also be defined with tlmgr:
  tlmgr conf auxtrees add .//
though given your working on texmf.cnf, I'm guessing you prefer to do
things directly.

I hope one of these, or similar, will work ... --thanks, karl.