[tex-k] Problem with "mf" online display in GNOME

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed May 24 00:08:32 CEST 2017

Hi Paul (and Igor and all),

    1.  Without using a file test.mf, type mf, \relax at the ** prompt, and
        drawdot(35,70); showit; at the * prompt.  Then, try drawing other dots
        (for example drawdot(20,20); showit; ).  Do they appear?

Works for me (x86_64-linux, TL pretest, fvwm, CentOS 7).
(drawdot also works from the command line.)

    2.  If you are able to draw additional dots, are they redrawn on the screen
        if you cover them with another window and then uncover them?

Indeed, that fails for me as well. I seem to recall noticing that years
ago, but in the absence of any reports from users, decided not to spend
time on it. (It was frustrating enough to have to deal with x11-Xt
randomly starting to fail one year.)

Of course, a patch would be great. -k