[tex-k] patch to epstopdf

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Sat Feb 20 07:27:09 CET 2016

On Sun 14 Feb 2016 14:12:58 NZDT +1300, William Bader wrote:

> Yes, I tried ps2pdf -sColorConversionStrategy=Gray -dProcessColorModel=/DeviceGray -dColorImageDepth=1 -dGrayImageDepth=1 -dMonoImageDepth=1 colorcir.ps
> but I still came up with grayscale image. It might be possible with a custom ICC profile.
> At least for printing, I am not sure if converting to 1 bit monochrome would ever be useful. Images would come out very ugly. RIPs need to see grayscales in order to generate halftones.

Thanks for the details! What you say may be correct for printing, but
does not hold for archiving. When I create PDFs for the purpose of
storing documents electronically without intention to print them,
being forced to use images in 8-bit grey rather than 1-bit B&W looks
like an unwelcome limitation to me. Those 1-bit documents (not created
by ghostscript) still print fine on the odd occasion I tried, so RIPs
can cope in principal. Whether the quality was as good as it would have
been with 8-bit grey I didn't check, and it was irrelevant for the
purpose.

The bottom line is still if ghostscript can't generate 1-bit images then
epstopdf can't change that, and a different tool would be in order.

Thanks,

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann