[tex-k] patch to epstopdf

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Sat Feb 13 20:46:55 CET 2016

On Thu 11 Feb 2016 08:11:38 NZDT +1300, Karl Berry wrote:

>     I attached a small patch to epstopdf that adds a "-gray" option to
> produce a B&W PDF.
>
> Good idea, thanks!

Not so fast. Can we please maintain the distinction between colour,
grey, and monochrome? B&W refers to monochrome (1 bit), grey refers to
8 bit (or 16 bit), and colour to 24 or 48 bit. The file sizes behave
accordingly, and compression ratios for monochrome are really good,
unless files are contructed lazily as grey although only 1 bit of the 8
bit storage width is actually used.

So if adding an option for grey in a not very big patch, how about also
adding an option for monochrome, like -mono or -bw, with the appropriate
PS commands?

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann