[tex-k] cannot call bibtex with absolute path name

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Oct 20 01:06:35 CEST 2015

    I get the same error in TeXLive 2014, but TeXLive 2011 seems to work
    properly

Thanks for the report.  I believe it is related to security, in that we
had to disallow writing to absolute/explicitly-relative paths by default
in bibtex, among other programs.  This is partly because bibtex is one
of the (very few) shell_escape_commands allowed to be executed from a
TeX document.

If you want to enable it, you can set the environment variable
openout_any, as in:
  $ openout_any=a bibtex /foo/bar.aux

Best,
Karl