[tex-k] a question about tlmgr on Windows

Andrew Komornicki komornic at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 23 07:53:10 CEST 2013

Karl and friends,

I have a question and a problem relating to tlmgr.

As a long time user of TeX and friends I installed Texlive 2009 in 2010 on my
then new Win XP laptop.  More recently I realized that tlmgr has ceased to
function.  Quite simply, whenever I try to invoke it, Windows responds with
the message:
          perl.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.
          We are sorry for the inconvenience.

The current tug.org/texlive/tlmgr pages indicate that there is a fix for
disaster recovery.  Specifically it suggests to download update-tlmgr-latest.exe

I have done that.  running that executable produces that same message, that
perl.exe has encountered a problem...........

is there a simpler fix, save for a clean install of TeXlive (??)
I really like my present installation, and have been very productive with this.
any suggestions are very much appreciated.

regards,
andrew