[tex-k] dvips font issue with embedded graphics file

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Jan 18 03:18:22 CET 2012

(Cc-ing for posterity.  Roderick sent me the sample files off-list.)

    If you look at main.ps you will see that the X-axis title of the
    graph is missing superscript minus signs - also a letter g is
    missing from the word "erg". Many of the tick mark labels on the
    graph are also missing too.

Thanks for the example.

The problem I see is that pgplot.epsi says it uses no fonts:
%%DocumentFonts:
therefore dvips has no way of knowing what is going on.  It is not a
PostScript interpreter.  It just parses the %%DocumentFonts: line(s).

If I edit that line in pgplot.epsi to say:
%%DocumentFonts: Times-Roman
and then rerun dvips (+ ps2pdf), all the missing characters appear.

Looking at the dvips source, it is not immediately clear to me that what
it does necessarily suffices in all cases, but it does in this one, at
least for me.

If there is any way to report or fix the problem in whatever generated
pgplot.epsi (pgplot, I guess), that would be great.  That is, the
failure to define any %%DocumentFonts.  Failing that, I suppose -j0 is
the simplest approach.  But it's not a bug that can be fixed in dvips ...

Best wishes,
Karl