[tex-k] TeX Sources

Jay F Shachter jay at m5.chicago.il.us
Tue Sep 6 16:51:15 CEST 2011

Centuries ago, Nostradamus predicted that Tom Rokicki would write on Tue Sep  6 01:22:18 2011:

> I think this is all reasonably resolved.
>
>    .
>    .
>    .
>
> Jay, if I've misrepresented anything, please correct me.
> Otherwise, I believe this issue has reached a satisfactory
> conclusion.

The above is correct.  An upgrade to a newer version of TeX had
exposed errors in my macros that the earlier version of TeX had
ignored.  Not knowing that my macros were at fault, I attempted to
rebuild the older TeX from source (so as to have a version of TeX that
accepted my macros, which I had been using for years without any
problems), and discovered to my surprise that I could not.  Tom showed
me how to fix my macros so that they would be acceptable to the newer
version of TeX, and that is what I have done.  Everything is now
working.  However, it still troubles me somewhat, on general
principles, that I do not have source from which I can build TeX, just
in case I should ever need to do so.  But the acquisition of such
source is a low priority, and, for the moment, I can live without it.

			Jay F. Shachter
			6424 N Whipple St
			Chicago IL  60645-4111
				(1-773)7613784
				jay at m5.chicago.il.us
				http://m5.chicago.il.us

			"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur"