[tex-k] Updmap-sys does not leave out MAP file fragments in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/updmap-local.cfg

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Jun 15 01:11:19 CEST 2011

On Di, 14 Jun 2011, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> IMO the installation becomes broken when you forcibly remove some
> package. Proof: tlmgr complains!

Which is not a proof at all.

> I am not interested in Vietnamese, Chinese, this or that, "quasi" fonts
> for example. I just wanted to make updmap's life easy (and its running
> time minimal). So I disable some fonts via their MAP file fragments. And
> I am doing this with /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/
> web2c/updmap-local.cfg because in TeX Live 2010 it worked fine (and

Nothing has changed in the handling of updmap-local.cfg.
The only thing that has changed is updmap script.

> particularly very fast, not needing to invoke 'updmap-sys --disable
> <some MAP file fragment>' 50 times manually or with a lengthy shell
> script; and every year), and I think automatically.

This still works.

> this does not really work well, because tlmgr now (?) does not generate
> the "localised" files, at least not automatically, and when needed, i.e.,
> when updmap-local.cfg is younger then the updmap.cfg files updmap works
> with.

As explained (already a few times! and written in the docs) this is
*INTENDED* behaviour. If you make changes to local configuration files
you have in some cases to do actions!

> Regarding the syntax used in updmap-local.cfg: last year (or earlier?)
> the documentation did not give exact hints.

The docs nor the code didn't change in the last year. Probably you never
took a look before I pointed you at it.

Best wishes

Norbert