[tex-k] Updmap-sys does not leave out MAP file fragments in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/updmap-local.cfg

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Jun 14 10:44:22 CEST 2011

On Di, 14 Jun 2011, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>> I jsut give you one hint to think about: Search the web for how to
>> install
>> fonts for TeX, and the magic "enableMap" word ...
>>
>> If you need more hints let me know.
>

> Is that enabling will fail when the local CFG file says to disable it?

No. Very simple. In the world many many recipes tell you to call
	updmap-sys --enableMap ...
Now if we would run
	tlmgr generate updmap
automatically after each upgrade of a font package, these local adaptions
would be destroyed. From the documentation of tlmgr (which nobody reads ;-)))

       For "updmap", however, "tlmgr" does not use "generate", because the
       result would be to disable all maps which have been manually installed
       via "updmap-sys --enable", e.g., for proprietary or local fonts.  The
       "generate" action only incorporates the changes in the "--localcfg"
       file mentioned below.  Furthermore, "tlmgr" updates and maintains the
       final "updmap.cfg" in "TEXMFSYSCONFIG" (while the other files are in
       "TEXMFSYSVAR"), because that is the location that "updmap-sys" (via
       "tcfmgr") uses.

       Notwithstanding the above, if you only use the fonts and font packages
       within TeX Live, and rigorously maintain your local fonts (if any)
       using "updmap-local.cfg", there is nothing wrong with using "generate
       updmap".  It can be helpful in moving from release to release,
       especially.  We use it ourselves to generate the "updmap.cfg" file in
       the live source repository.

Best wishes

Norbert
"What was the self-sacrifice?"
"I jettisoned half of a much loved and I think
irreplaceable pair of shoes."
"Why was that self-sacrifice?"
"Because they were mine!" said Ford crossly.
"I think we have different value systems."
"Well mine's better."
"That's according to your... oh never mind."