[tex-k] kpseaccess.test fails on r18349 (FreeBSD)

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Thu May 20 10:18:21 CEST 2010

On Thu, 20 May 2010, Nikola Le?i? wrote:

> kpseaccess.test doesn't pass on FreeBSD, r18349.
>
> More precisely, the following three lines cause test to fail:
>
> ./kpseaccess x access.o && exit 1
> ./kpseaccess rwx kpseaccess || exit 1
>
> Files in question:
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   8152 May 19 15:06 access.o
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  11694 May 19 15:06 kpseaccess
>
> Log extract:
>
> PASS: kpsestat.test
> /root/TL-Work-18349/texmf

Hi Nikola,

could it be that you have been running this as root user?

(1) you should never do that, much too dangerous.

what is the output from 'id'?

(2) this should, however, not make the test fail.

Quoting from the POSIX access(3p) manpage:
   If the process has appropriate privileges, an implementation may indicate
   success for X_OK even if none of the execute file permission bits are set.

Hi Karl,

Not yet sure how to handle this.  Should I fix the test or should
access.o be modified?

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>