[tex-k] archaic metafont warning message

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Jul 21 11:40:36 CEST 2010

Hi,
mf-nowin prints the following warning message to screen:

  mf: Window support for X was not compiled into this binary.
  mf: There may be a binary called `mfw' on your system which
  mf: does contain X window support.

  mf: If you need to recompile, remember to give the --with-x
  mf: option to configure

  mf: (Or perhaps you just failed to specify the mode.)

A few years ago DEK asked how to invoke mf with X11 support (he wasn't
aware of mfw) and I suppose the warning was added in order to point
people to mfw.  But meanwhile programs were renamed:

  mfw -> mf
  mf  -> mf-nowin

mf-nowin is only used by scripts and mf now does what people expect if
they invoke it from the command line.  Hence I think the message isn't
needed anymore and can be removed without substitution.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25