[tex-k] note from Don Knuth

Maggie McLoughlin mam at theory.Stanford.EDU
Sat Mar 14 01:26:44 CET 2009

Dear TeX-K-ers,

When I run MetaPost on an unusual program (used to generate part of my book
Digital Typography years ago) I get the message
  MetaPost capacity exceeded (input stack size = 300)
and a suggestion that a wizard will be able to recompile.

I don't have time today to masquerade as a wizard, but I seem to recall
that parameters like this are now settable dynamically. The info-style help
files I have for Kpathsea don't say anything about this that I can find.
My texmf.cnf file doesn't mention stack size, but the file /etc/texmf.cnf
(which I think is the default) says stack_size=5000; this evidently
is just for TeX, since MetaPost isn't listening.

What should I do?

Thanks again for listening -- Don