[tex-k] [Fwd: Re: limiting \write18]

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Wed Mar 4 19:40:24 CET 2009

Hi,

Peter Breitenlohner wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Martin Schröder wrote:
>
>> Equally important: Building with already installed (shared) libraries
>> should work easily; Norbert told me the debian patches work somehow,
>> but are not very clean.
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> are you talking about `official' libraries like zlib, libpng, libfreetype,
> t1lib, and libgd?  For all those yes, of course.  That is all more or less
> automatic, only specifying the location of libpng (libpng or libpng12)
> still needs improvement.  For the others like libxpdf and liblua no, there
> you need patched versions.

That reminds me that I have a warning to give to both Peter and
Christian:

The new metapost is implemented in CWEB, and has a completely different
(but fairly simple) build system from the current pascal-web based
release.

I don't want to introduce chaos now by putting metapost in texlive,
but if you want to have a look at what has changed you can look at
metapost 1.102:

   http://foundry.supelec.fr/frs/?group_id=13&release_id=327

Version 1.200 will use the same build process, it just has one or
two extra source files.

The warning, however, is not for metapost itself, but for luatex.
The luatex 0.40 build will depend on the mplib portion of metapost
being built first (it needs libmplib.a).  I just realised I should
warn you guys beforehand.

Best wishes,
Taco