[tex-k] Libtool and cxx-runtime-hack (Was: An idea for texinfo)

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Mon Jan 19 18:10:04 CET 2009

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009, Karl Berry wrote:

> P.S. But what we really need to do is all the remaining kpse/autostuff ...

Hi Karl,

you are absolutely right. A first step in that direction is a version of the
cxx-runtime-hack that works together with libtool.  Attached is a small
tarball testing this.  That little package uses Automake which requires some
tricks to put the cxx-runtime-hack options at the end of the libtool command
line.  From the generated Makefile.in it should be obvious how to translate
that back to plain Autoconf.

 	configure --with-cxx-runtime-hack
 	make	=> cxx-test with static libstdc++

 	configure [--without-cxx-runtime-hack]
 	make	=> cxx-test with shared libstdc++

I can only test on i386-linux and x86_64-linux -- works nicely. Should work
equally well for all other *-linux systems.

Some testing is certainly needed for all non-linux systems (using gcc and a
shared libstdc++).  Can you please forward the tarball to everyone doing a
binary build for such systems and ask them to test this new cxx-runtime-hack
mechanism (ASAP).

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>