[tex-k] An idea for texinfo

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Jan 15 18:28:56 CET 2009

Hi Peter,

    I'd like to implement a feature in texinfo that allows to set an info_path
    constructed from PATH.

Sounds good.

    path="", path=".", path="./*" (or Windows equivalents)
    => nothing

Probably also ignore if it starts with "..".

    path="PREFIX/DIR"
    => the first existing directory among
            PREFIX/share/info
            PREFIX/info
    and possibly also (inspired by man-db)
            PREFIX/DIR/share/info
            PREFIX/DIR/info

I guess it doesn't hurt to check for more directories, but when would
/PREFIX/DIR/{info,share...} be found?

    path=<anything else>
    => nothing

I guess the only thing that's left is a single component "foo" or
"/foo".  Definitely makes sense to ignore "foo".  I suppose it's
theoretically possible that a system could have /bin, /share, ...,
although I've never seen it in real life.

Thanks,
Karl

P.S. But what we really need to do is all the remaining kpse/autostuff ...