[tex-k] epstopdf: %%BoundingBox: (atend)

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Aug 22 00:55:54 CEST 2009

Hi Martin,

I think the current situation is that (atend) is supported for regular
files, but not (as you point out) pipes.  And I think this deficiency is
why it is not claimed to be supported in the documentation.  That could
be made more precise.

As far as I can see, supporting it for pipes means a new strategy: have
to read the entire input file into a temporary location and then process
that.  And detecting whether the input is a pipe or file in the first
place, which I'm not sure is any trivial/portable (esp. to Windows) task.

My guess is that the current maintainer of epstopdf (Gerben Wierda)
would accept a clean patch for these things, but is unlikely to write it
himself.  Any interest?  Anyway, I'll ask him.  (I don't have the
time/inclination/energy to do it myself either, I'm afraid.)

    script print an error message when it detects this case,
    instead of the current broken handling.

It is printing an error message, is it not?
Namely "Cannot go back to line ...".

    I don't know if there is any kind of public archive of past versions

There is no public repository for epstopdf, only the versions included
in the various TeX (and other) distributions over the last N years.

    I assume it used to work in the past,

I don't see anything suggesting that it ever worked on pipes ...

Best,
Karl