[tex-k] basic kpse_find_{format} question

Daniel Wyckoff dwyckoff76 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 10 23:50:39 CEST 2008

Dear Tex-K Mailing List:

I'm currently writing an open-source DVI previewer that will suit my own eccentric needs.  It's going really well.  I wanted to incorporate KPathSea functions into it, because I've heard such great things about that library, but I'm a little confused:

How does one find the format of a given fontname that one reads from a DVI file?  Do I have to set up my own hash table in my program that matches font names to file formats?

For instance, I'm testing my previewer on a DVI file that uses the pcrr7t font file.  Now, after running a "find . -name pcrr7t.*" in the fonts directory I concluded it was a Virtual Font file, but does KPathSea have a special function that will search some file database file or config file which matches font file names (as retrieved from DVI files) with their format type?  I guess I could always do a manual search in the ls-R file in /var/lib/texmf, but then I wouldn't need to run kpse_find_{format}.  I guess I could also run a find command as a system call, but then my program wouldn't be portable for Windows, and would perhaps be slightly less efficient.

Any help would be appreciated!

-Daniel Wyckoff