[tex-k] exit code and --interaction

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Fri Oct 31 19:28:43 CET 2008

Joachim Schrod a écrit :
> You can't pipe complete documents into TeX when using batchmode;

Is it documented somewhere? I can't find any reference (checked pdftex
man page and web2c.pdf).

> you
> have to use scrollmode.

Ok, I will try.

> It is also sensible to set the jobname,

I set it in my actual script.

> I.e., you'll use it as:
>
>     my $latex_cmd = DC::Command->new("pdftex",
> 				     '-interaction', 'scrollmode',
> 				     '-jobname', $job_name, '\relax');
>
> Where DC::Command->new is a wrapper to create an IO::Pipe.

Ok.

> I recently discovered that deficiency of TeX in a project of mine,
> where I get ca. 600 MB data from a Web service, generate TeX source on
> the fly, and pipe that into TeX for processing. Well, that the Log
> file now has all the input, too, and needs to be sanitized later on --
> if you ever need to keep processing log for reference, but except for
> that, it works like a charm. (These 600MB are actually 12,000
> documents, I later split the DVI file. This and several other
> optimizations brought down processing time from 20 hours to 45
> minutes.)

Sounds cool. Is your tex flow similar to the tex deamon used eg in the
mathtran project? I'd be interested in hearing more details about it
(offlist of course).

Manuel.