[tex-k] In need of a wizard

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 16 10:23:38 CET 2007

Joel Reicher <joel at panacea.null.org> wrote:

> > 2007/3/15, Achim Blumensath <blumensath at mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de>:
> > > BTW: I was unable to find the latest releases of kpathsea and web2c on
> > > CTAN. Where are they available nowadays?
> >
> > In the TeXLive sources.
>
> Is this arrangement permanent in the forseeable future? There are no
> plans to update the tarballs in ftp://tug.org/tex/ ?
>
> Perhaps they should be marked as obsolete somehow (and on CTAN too)...

i don't believe there's value in two sources on the same site for a
single object.  of course, it happens all the time, but when the
development cycle of a package (such as these two) is identical to that
of another package, it seems pointless to hold two copies.

i would therefore support marking as obsolete, and providing a pointer.
i can easily make the ctan catalogue point to the texlive sources for
kpathsea and web2c, and can probably provide a readme that does the same
(for people who believe they don't need the catalogue).

robin