[tex-k] Updates to dviljk, dviljk goes to CTAN

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Jul 4 00:20:32 CEST 2007

Hi Joachim,

    An update to dviljk

Thanks for caring for all this.

    dependency on the texk build environment is not relevant for our
    archival purpose

Ok.  I just hope we don't end up with a lot of users downloading the
software and not understanding that it can't be compiled, despite your
README.  That is why I hadn't suggested doing things this way.  Guess
we'll find out.

    I'd like to mention that we can use this automatic process for other
    DVI drivers too, when upstream versions get unmaintained.

Aside from ones that become unmaintained, at least kpathsea, web2c, and
dvips are also only maintained in TL and this situation is not likely to
change in the foreseeable future.  So if you like, please propagate
those to CTAN similar to dviljk.

I suspect a number of the other smaller utilities have no upstream
either.  I tried to write down the ones I could find upstreams for in
source/texk/README.TL and source/utils/README.

Thanks,
Karl