[tex-k] Unsupported extra colon in kpsewhich --expand-path

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Dec 19 23:17:47 CET 2007

    Quite simple, I want to use Lua's module system:
      require("abc.def.ghi")

Ok, thanks, I wasn't sure if it was part of the same wish.  Please give
me a couple of days to see if I can figure out the subdir path thing.

    Taco has written some wrappers for kpathsea (kpse.find_file,
    kpse.expand_path, ...).

I thought he reimplemented everything in Lua, rather than calling native
kpse functions.

    path_separator is ':' for Unix and ';' for Windows. Other OSes?

VM/CMS is a space according to kpathsea/c-pathch.h, but I can't imagine
that is relevant.  Other than that, only ; and : are used.

    dir_separator is '/' for Unix and '/' or '\' for Windows? Other OSes?

The output comes from however it is defined in texmf.cnf.  In practice,
that means it is always a /, as far as I know (does your Windows box
output /'s?).  This function doesn't really know, though, it just
expands the strings and outputs them.  As far as I can recall.

    Infinite subdirectory searching always uses '//' or it is OS dependent?

Ditto answer above.

    I think it is more efficient to check a database (ls-R) instead of
    inspecting each directory.

Sure, but invoking kpsewhich --path for every lookup you want to do
seems rather suboptimal, although maybe the lookups are few enough that
it doesn't matter.

Anyway, I'll see what I can do about the subdir specification.

karl