[tex-k] dvips: BeginPaperSize in postscript DSC

pierre.mackay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Thu Nov 16 01:16:19 CET 2006

On Nov 14, 2006, at 3:47 AM, G. Garai wrote:

> > \documentclass[12pt,psfig,oneside]{book}
> > \psfig{figure=abc.eps,height=6.0in,width=4.0in}
> >
> > But I get "Undefined control sequence" error. Please let me know
> > the solution for this

Here is an example, from a response by William Adams of the difficulty of including
complete backward compatibility when you start dealing with something other than TeX.
The problem is clearly nothing to do with the management of PostScript insertions by
the PostScript interpreter, it is simply a matter of someone continuing to use obsolete
LaTeX2.09.  How long will it continue to be possible to run ancient LaTeX 2.09 files.
I know I can run plain TeX files from that fare back.  I have done so, Fortunately I no
longer have any LaTeX 2.09 files.

Well, searching on ``latex psfig faq'' would get one to a page like:

http://www.lbl.gov/ITSD/CIS/faqs/TeX/psfig.html

or

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/tex-faq/

or even

http://www.math.psu.edu/doc/teTeX/local/psfig/

where you would learn that psfig is a really old macro package from
the 2.09 days.

While you could move up to epsfig I'd suggest looking into the
documentation for graphicx (hint, search your hard drive, or the web
for ``graphicx''. ``texdoc graphicx'' may work on your system
depending on your tex setup / configuration.