[tex-k] Feature requests: otf/ttf, font expansion

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Jan 14 22:18:25 CET 2006

    Reasons for 1,2: pfb are slowly dieing out, many useful fonts are made
    available these days as otf/ttf only.

Indeed, adding support for otf/ttf to dvips would only be good.  As
Reinhard says, developer(s) is/are needed.  (Akira?! :)

Meanwhile, I see one huge barrier to "real" use of otf in TeX -- TeX's
intrinsic limit on 256 chars in tfm's, \char, etc.  I don't know how to
solve that without going all the way to 16-bit chars, as in Omega/Aleph,
which code has never really been stable.  Chopping up the original fonts
into 256-char subsets for TeX is not a good situation.

Thanks,
Karl