[tex-k] HyperTeX tags

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Feb 27 23:03:43 CET 2006

Hi Oleg,

    how do I force ps2pdf to create real named destinations
    in the produced PDFs?

As you probably know, ps2pdf is just a tiny shell script frontend for
ghostscript.  I do not know what kind of controls it has for dealing
with links like this.  I never ran across anything.  All I can
suggest is to poke at the gs doc and source and mailing lists ...

    Is this just a fact of life, or there is a way to make
    dvipdfmx create correct local inter-document links?

This would seem to be a bug in dvipdfmx, and I suggest writing to the
authors.  It is actually actively maintained, unlike dvipdf and dvipdfm
and ...
Jin-Hwan Cho <chofchof at ktug.or.kr>
Shunsaku Hirata <sh74 at jcom.home.ne.jp>

You might also try a newer version. TL05 included dvipdfmx-20050823.

    what is the reason for creating a target spanning
    some text, instead of marking just a spot on a page?

Are you sure there is any reason?  I would speculate that this was
inherited from HTML, where you can say
<a name="foo">some text</a>
even though it is effectively equivalent (afaik) to
<a name="foo"></a>some text

    Thanks in advance for any help,

Not much, but it's the best I can do :).  Good luck with the paper.

Best,
Karl