[tex-k] Bibtex 0.99c handling of \@input

Lasse Nisted zartzartzart at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 13:38:07 CET 2006

Hello

I think I've found a bug in bibtex.

It seems it only searches for .aux files in the current directory instead
of searching in the root aux file directory. (I use latex -output-directory
to place .aux files in ./output/)

$ bibtex output/shuttle
This is BibTeX, Version 0.99c (Web2C 7.5.4)
The top-level auxiliary file: output/shuttle.aux
I couldn't open auxiliary file introduction.aux
---line 6 of file output/shuttle.aux
 : \@input{introduction.aux
 :                         }
I'm skipping whatever remains of this command
The style file: alpha.bst
I found no \citation commands---while reading file output/shuttle.aux
Database file #1: tex/lit.bib
(There were 2 error messages)

$ cd output/
$ bibtex shuttle
This is BibTeX, Version 0.99c (Web2C 7.5.4)
The top-level auxiliary file: shuttle.aux
A level-1 auxiliary file: introduction.aux
The style file: alpha.bst
I couldn't open database file tex/lit.bib
---line 8 of file shuttle.aux
 : \bibdata{tex/lit
I'm skipping whatever remains of this command
I found no database files---while reading file shuttle.aux
Warning--I didn't find a database entry for "vazirani"
(There were 2 error messages)

As can be seen, it wouldn't help to change directory, as the
relative path to "lit.bib" then would be wrong.

I'm sorry if this isn't a bug :)

- Lasse