[tex-k] is there any reason not to strip tetex binaries?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Dec 4 00:40:03 CET 2006

    and various packages refer to an old bug
          "Don't strip binaries explicitly (bug #62568)."

It is standard practice not to strip binaries by default, so that,
indeed, there is a chance of debugging when there is a problem.
I imagine Thomas was just following that practice.

With TeX Live (and probably most GNU/Linux distributions too), we
don't have the luxury of that much space.

    can I safely strip tetex 3.0 binaries on recent linux distributions
    (fedora, redhat EL, debian, centOS)?

There's no way to know which versions of strip have bugs and which
don't, but barring strip bugs, it's fine.

    What's the downside apart from losing debugging abilities.

None.

Best,
karl