[tex-k] Raster (Bitmap) Images Handling in DVIPS(k)

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Tue Jul 26 20:16:29 CEST 2005

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 09:23:33AM +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> josef dev wrote:
>
> >Is pdfLaTeX is superset of LaTeX or I should say can any LaTeX file be
> >compiled in pdfLaTeX without any change except driver information
> >(dvips to pdftex) if it is specified in TeX file.
>
> yes.

It depends on how "superset" is defined; pdfTeX provides more
primitives than TeX.

> >Is this assured that the result of compilation of the same file in
> >LaTeX and pdfLaTeX will be identical in all cases?
>
> unless you make use \special, yes.

The result can be different:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{ifpdf}
\begin{document}
\ifpdf
  Compiler: pdf\LaTeX
\else
  Compiler: \LaTeX
\fi
\end{document}

> >Also same with EPS. Is there any package which can embeded them
> >directly in the document without any manual conversion before compilation?
>
> no. you have convert to EPS to PDF.

Or package "epstopdf" can help.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>