[tex-k] Re: web2c-7.5.4, tetex-2.99.10-beta -- patches and problem

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Sun Jan 30 18:34:47 CET 2005

> They both refer to "web2c's (new) kpsexpand binary"?

Well, that's a really old comment! :-) In web2c's NEWS, I find:

    2.6 (9 January 1995)
    kpsewhich replaces and generalizes kpsexpand

    2.3 (26 October 1994)
    * New standalone program, kpsexpand, optionally compiled and installed,
      to do variable expansion (not path searching).

So this kpsexpand did exist some time in the past... :-)

I just have "fixed" kpsetool (see my previous mail for more comments).
The script now starts as follows:

    # kpsetool. Script to make teTeX-style kpsetool, kpsexpand and kpsepath
    # available. Web2C's kpsewhich offers a superset of the functionality.
    # For compatibilty with old versions of teTeX, this script provides the
    # old command line interface of kpsetool, kpsexpand and kpsepath. All the
    # real work is done inside Web2C's kpsewhich.
    # Thomas Esser <te at dbs.uni-hannover.de>, Mar 1997, public domain.

    usage="
    Usage: kpsexpand [options] string
    Usage: kpsetool -w [options] pathtype filename
    Usage: kpsepath  [options] pathtype

    Valid options are the following:
      -n progname  : pretend to be progname to kpathsea
      -m mode      : set Metafont mode
      -w           : locate files (similar to kpsewhich)
      -p           : act like kpsepath
      -v           : act like kpsexpand

So, it should now be clear that Web2C's kpsewhich is the new + real
thing and that these script(s) just provide an old command line interface.

Thanks for all your careful checking / testing and feedback!

Thomas