[tex-k] header special extension proposal

Hendri Adriaens Hendri at uvt.nl
Wed Aug 24 07:18:16 CEST 2005

> But I am not clear that it would even be necessary.  Why would it be
> difficult to define a macro that inserts a \special in every instance of
> a header?  I know I have defined macros that include \specials, and I
> don''t remember that they have caused any serious problems other than
> some tweaking to get the horizontal and vertical spacing right.

Not difficult to reuse it, it's difficult getting the graphic in the header
as to be able to reuse it, as is also explained in the package documentation
here:
http://tug.org/~hendri

> I do note that the problem is to get smaller PS files, not smaller DVI
> files.  I guess I don't know how I would go about that even if I were
> programming PS directly.  Bur if it can be done in raw PS files, why is
> it not possible to insert the callout code in a \special?  I know that
> bophook will manage that trick.  I have done it.

I don't know what bophook does, but for sure, we need to get the graphic in
the ps header and by just doing \special{header=myfigure.ps} it's not going
to work. Please send me privately (zipped please!) a small ps that reuses
graphics using bophook's and I'll have a look at it. Thanks.

-Hendri.