[tex-k] papersize special?

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 21 23:26:17 CEST 2005

> I just received a suggestion that Texinfo output a papersize special.
> http://www.tug.org/texinfohtml/dvips.html#papersize-special
>
> For example, if an explicit @letterpaper command is seen, output
> \special{papersize=8.5in,11in}
> on the first page.  It seems hyperref does something along these lines.
>
> (1) Is this the right way to handle such things?

no, surely not.  hyperref issues the appropriate commands for the
output driver (including pdftex pdf output).  if you're going to start
doing such things, i believe you ought to institute a config file
setup so you offer the user the option of confounding your guess
(which would presumably be dvips if output is dvi, pdftex if output is
pdf).

> (2) If no explicit paper size command is issued, Texinfo's parameters
>     are set for letter.  Is it therefore desirable to output a papersize
>     special for letter, or is better to just have no papersize special
>     at all?

no papersize at all.  that way you don't catch out people who only
have standard paper available, but don't know texinfo correctly.