[tex-k] dvips Z option and Zandt's alt-rule.pro revisited

Michael Shell list1 at michaelshell.org
Mon Mar 8 03:58:59 CET 2004

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 07:18:35 -0800
"Tomas G. Rokicki" <rokicki at CS.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

> Arghhh!  If this is true something is seriously wrong; the existing
> algorithm should be pixel perfect on your LaserJets!

I should have qualified that better. That is, it prints better on these
printers when printed from a PDF document that was made from the resultant
PostScript (this is the primary use of Zandt's patch).

Specifically, without Zandt's algorithm, the tick marks on the rulers
in the testflow page:

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/IEEEtran/testflow/

vary in thickness when printed to an HP LaserJet from a PDF file
made from a dvips produced PS file.

Another related feature request would be a means to be able to set
(or disable) dvips' snap grid independently of its bitmapped font
dpi settings. This is useful when using Type 1 fonts for PS which
will be used to make PDF.

I never understood how dvipsone supposedly overcomes the snap
grid problem. i.e., how does one make PostScript that "snaps to"
only during rasterization (in a PS printer, or a PS->PDF engine)
rather than at the time the PS file is created (as with dvips)?

 Mike Shell