[tex-live] Re: [tex-k] TeX finding filenames with spaces

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Wed Jan 14 10:47:50 CET 2004

Hans Hagen wrote:

> since big texmf trees are much slower than small ones (which is why i
> use a small subsets for production jobs) it makes sense to move much of
> the mf related things to a separate texmf tree,

interesting idea. but I wonder how much of the tree has Metafont-related
stuff? there are 5090 .mf source files, and only about 12 PKs these days.

> probably one that will
> seldom change; that way tex live can provide -at installation time- the
> option to use that tree or not

its not as simple as that. when you install TL, you decide which
packages you want installed. each package may populate or not one of
your trees. if you don't want Metafont stuff, don't install those font
packages....

it might make sense to have a texmf-srcdoc tree, in which we place
all the source and documentation files so
you only get them with specific commands. That would cut down
the size of the working tree considerably. Since its under package
control, it would not be that big a deal for us to organize.

texmf/doc         272812
texmf/source       73716
texmf/fonts/source 39644

what do others think of that idea? would one put fonts/source in that
separate tree, or one of its own? does anyone but Metafont read a .mf file?

--
Sebastian Rahtz      Information Manager
Oxford University Computing Services