[tex-k] Bibtex and verbatim environments

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 9 20:48:23 CET 2004

> I have troubles with verbatim environments in bibtex files, when I want
> to provide an URL thanks to the url package for instance:

please don't ask macro programming questions here: it's a list for tex
implementation issues, not for general issues that affect any
implementation.  texhax at tug.org is the place to use.

> @article{
>   NOTE =
>   {\url{http://www.quite.long.com/url/which/really/does/not/fit/on/an/eighty/characters/line/}}
> }
>
> in the .bbl file, I get:
>
> \bibitem{foo}
> \url{http://www.quite.long.com/url/which/really/does/not/fit/on/an/eighty/char%
> acters/line/}.
>
> which is wrong: \url *will* display the % (and I want it to !). Is
> that really mandatory to have 79-chars lines (except readability) ?
>
> The safer way would be to completely avoid breaking words, just in
> case verbatim environments be used.

\url isn't a verbatim environment.

the problem you mention is discussed in
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=citeURL (which also
gives a work-around).

iirc, however, with an up-to-date copy of url.sty, it doesn't actually
occur.