[tex-k] 'updmap' 2.0 and lcdf-typetools

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Aug 18 18:41:43 CEST 2004

Karl Berry wrote:
>     Is there any easy way to tell whether a TDS uses the 1.1 layout or the
>     1.0 layout using kpathsea?
>
> Assuming you're talking about trying to figure out what to do in
> otftotfm, I think the answer is, if the TEXMF/{enc,map} directories
> exist, then use them.  If they don't, fall back to the previous behavior.

I don't want users to have to create empty VARTEXMF/fonts/enc directories to
convince otftotfm to DTRT.  Does the procedure I just described to Olaf, namely
looking for the ENCFONTS variable, make sense?

>     I have two questions.
>
>     (1) Should otftotfm also install or update map files for other
>     programs?  Which ones?
>
> The "dvips" is actually the syntax, not the program.  So assuming you're
> only writing dvips-style map/enc files, then {enc,map}/dvips/lcdftools
> is the right place.
>
> If you write dvipdfm- or pdftex-style files, then they would go in
> the {enc,map}/{dvipdfm,pdftex} sibling directories.

Well, I don't write those files yet, I guess I'm wondering if I should.  The
pdftex versions especially seem like they might be important to people.

> (Happily, there is some work being done to unify all these
> almost-but-not-quite-the-same syntaxes, which should never have existed
> separately in the first place.  We'll see ...)

Very nice.

Eddie