[tex-k] ls -R

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Oct 24 10:48:49 CEST 2003

    The problem is quite nasty because the user who accidentally installs
    a file which ends with a colon doesn't get any error message at all.
    It is extremely hard to locate the bug.

Yes.  It would be highly desirable to recognize the situation and at
least report the problem.  For instance, if there's a line ending with a
: which is not a directory after the : is removed.

The real fix would be not to use the simple ls -R ...

I remember thinking about this when I originally wrote the code, but
punted :(.